Monday, September 3, 2007

Blissfully Laborless Day

Pants rolled up as far as they'll go, I wade into the Tygart Valley River, watching bass dart under blackrock ledges and early brown sycamore leaves light on the surface. I want so badly to swim. The river is wide here, between Hell's Gate and Devil's Den, and the hills rear up sharp. I want to live here. Not in a cabin on the bank. Here. On this slick rock with the water rolling over my pale feet.

We're going back to Arden next weekend, only this time, I'm taking my bathing suit and the camera!

4 comments:

Duffy said...

WOW! I took my family there today past Arden over a bridge, down a small one lane road to swim in this river. What a beautiful day we had. I was just looking up some info thru google when I saw your blog and todays date. Wasn't it wonderful?

Elizabeth said...

Arden is one of those places that makes me thoroughly happy to live in West Virginia. And is that not the longest one lane bridge you've ever seen?

Duffy said...

I loved it. We want to go back this Sunday, it created such an impression. And you are right, I wish I lived there nearby. Do you live near the river? I have to remember to take my camera this time.

Elizabeth said...

It's a bit of a haul for us, but so worth it. I would live to live in that area.