Sunday, November 23, 2008

Deer Flesh!

So in a twist of events, my vegetarian husband has decided to take up hunting. He hunted regularly as a kid, but stopped in his 20's. He's out at the camp right now, preparing to wake up at 4 am and sit in the tree stand with his dad's .270 for the opening of rifle season.

And that's what I think it comes down to. Fuzzy's dad passed away a few months ago. It wasn't sudden or unexpected, but it was hard. And gearing up for hunting season has brought Fuzzy and his brother together and made them feel closer to their father, who loved anything even remotely related to the outdoors.

Fuzzy has decided that he will now eat venison, or any other meat we hunt or raise ourselves. A wonderful friend from Fayetteville has come into town, also for rifle season, and has promised to teach me how to "process" the deer. Is it weird that I'm actually excited to learn? Tomorrow I'm buying a vacuum sealer the meat grinder attachment for the KitchenAid mixer.

This should be interesting!

(Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions for cooking venison, now would be a good time to share them!)

6 comments:

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

there are as many different ways of preparing venison as there are people who prepare venison. Personally I like to use it much in the same way as beef. The flavor is a bit wilder and gamier, but don't try to 'fix' that. part of the pleasure of eating deer is in the wild taste. I cook with venison by substituting it for beef, in any recipie. (venison burgers can take a little getting used to, though). It's great as sausage, and in any soup, stew chili, etc. the more you eat, the more you'll love it. anyway, good luck! ~Joey

Melissa said...

Weirdly enough, I have always found meat processing to be fascinating. It takes a lot of skill to do it properly. I watched an old coonass down in Red Dirt remove all the entrails from a wild hog with three slits of a sharp knife. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Phelan said...

I'm one of the writers for Woman not Dabbling in Normal , and I followed a link over to you. HOpe you don't mind. I have an article on deer, maybe it will help. It does have a few recipes.

Wild Venison

Good luck!

MountainLaurel said...

Braise in Oliverio peppers. Makes a wonderful pepper steak!

Elizabeth said...

Phelan, I looove you guys' website! So informative! Thanks for the article link!

Mel, I totally agree with the meat fascination. I think it has something to do with discovering how critters are put together.

Joey, I'm really excited to try new recipes. I've cooked with venison a few times, but on ground. I looking forward to some chicken fried backstrap!

Mountain Laurel, welcome! And good idea with the Oliverio peppers! Anything that doesn't benefit from added chocolate benefits from Oliverio's peppers!

Tracy Bruring said...

For most of the 20 years that I was married, venison was the only red meat we ate. My husband at the time was seriously addicted to hunting and because of that he was required to put our red meat on the table. We ate venison at least 5 times per week. We packaged it ourselves for the first couple of years making sausage and hamburger and roast and backstrap. but then found that the local buther only charged $35 to cut up and package a deer and we suddenly got lazy. My favorite is always sausage as you can experiment with flavors. but backstrap on the grill is 2nd. it takes a careful eye to grill venison on the grill and not let it get dry. His never came out dry.