Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I Heart Cheese

So I need to lose at least 15 pounds before the wedding in June. I've been telling myself this since last October, but it's just now actually getting though my thick (fatty) skull. My mom, in all her proselytizing glory, has convinced me to give up dairy, at least till June.

Fuzzy and I took a stab at a vegan diet for the month of January and were moderately successful, though pizza and chocolate chip cookies from Aldi ultimately doomed that attempt. That's the thing, though. The vast majority of "bad" foods I indulge in contain dairy. So hopefully, cutting out dairy will take care of the pizza/ice-cream/sour-cream-and-onion-anything unholy trinity that is largely resposible for my current state of bloat.

It won't be easy without cheese, at least in the beginning. Cheese is pretty special to me. In childhood, I had many meals consisting entirely of cheddar cheese, Triscuits, and sliced apples. But I know I can do it. And I know I will be healthier for it. And I also know I will probably have a cheese pizza the day after the wedding. But once you know you can do without it, it's so much easier to cut back. Go listen the Colleen's Podcast, Life After Cheese, at compassionatecooks.com for a great take on giving up the cultured cow juice.

In the meantime, most of our meals will be out of the pages of Vegan with a Vengeance, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (the Hijiki-Chickpea Salad is fabulous!), and I'll probably be making enough Chocolate P-Nut Butter Squares from Dreena Burton's Vive le Vegan! to more than make up for a few cheese pizzas.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Elizabeth!
I can't believe you are buying into the whole body image thing for your wedding!!! Give up cheese? That's unthinkable! I don't figure that Fuzzy cares about the vanity weight. Heck, when Joey and I got married, I was the biggest I have ever been...I look at our wedding pics and go "Wow I was chunky! But look at that happy smile" Chalk the weight up to being happy (I know I always *lose* weight when I am sad) and enjoy your cheese. You will have enough to worry about with the wedding (even a simple wedding- people will keep asking you inane questions like "what are your colors?" mine were purple dammit and do you know how many people asked what shade??? I didn't care what shade as long as it doesn't spontaneously combust!) Anywho, I say enjoy your cheese, enjoy your sour-cream-&-onion. You are a strong, healthy, beautiful, intellegent woman and that will shine through a few silly pounds. I will get off my cheese barrel now... Ii will throw down some shredded cheddar for my abstaining homey.
Wishing you the best,
Mel :)

Elizabeth said...

Awww, thanks Melissa! I appreciate the support, but I do have to fit into my $15 TJ Maxx wedding dress. My job this summer will also occasionally involve a bathing suit, so that doesn't help. And I have to admit, when Fuzzy and I gave up dairy in January, I actually felt pretty good. I had less phlegm and snot (mmmm) and my skin looked mysteriously better. But really, it's mostly a way for me to give up processed foods, since most seem to contain some form of dairy (and motherfucking corn syrup, for whatever reason).

Oh, and I know what you mean about people asking what our colors are. We're having a cookout in the woods. I'm more worried about bears than magenta vs. cerise.

Melissa said...

Well if its for health reasons then okay :) Yay for discount wedding dresses! Bears vs. Magenta, yes worry about bears! Eat some non-processed foods for me, I am still living in the land of deep-fried-&-covered-in-gravy. The wal-mart checkers still look at me funny when I buy groceries and ask where I can find couscous.....sigh.