Monday, April 16, 2007

Leaving Louisiana

From August 2005 to May 2006, I lived in a small town in central Louisiana. I loved Louisiana: my tiny, spartan apartment, the Cajun jokes, and of course, the food. Namely, Bread of Heaven Soul Food and Shipley Do-nuts. Ah, fickle Shipley's. When I would wake up hungover from a night at the Pioneer or Roque's Grocery, longing for a sweet, fried, leaden breakfast, I would drive to Shipley's. Would they be open? Maybe, maybe not. Whenever the morning's batch of doughnuts was sold, they closed. So sometimes they closed at 10 am, sometimes at 1 pm. Pastry always tastes better when there's a little suspense involved.

My life has been so busy here in West Virginia, I haven't really reflected on my time in Louisiana. My friend Melissa over at Adventures in Louisiana has written some beautiful posts that have brought the place back to me so vividly that I can't help but stop and think. I miss the anoles darting around my balcony and the Resurrection Ferns' miraculous unfurling after a rain. I miss the drive to Oakland Plantation and the rush of a sudden, violent thunder storm. But mostly I miss the warm, funny people I was lucky enough to call my friends.

I love West Virginia and I'm glad I'm building my life here, but I don't think Louisiana is done with me yet.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hey Liz,
You never really forget a place that you called home. Nor do you ever stop missing it, as I have found out over the last few years. I still wake up from dreams where I am back in Gainesville, Florida. Sometimes I wake up glad that I am NOT there, other times it makes me homesick for the whole day. But if it is any consolation, I am envious now of West Virginia, because you make it sound so exciting! Vegan food and mountains...Hey, you can always come visit though, we have three bedrooms now!!
Mel :)