Sunday, June 24, 2007

Shithouse


So, how was your weekend? Lovely, I hope. Filled with soft lighting and romantic interludes and unicorns dancing on a freshly cut lawn. And what did I do this weekend, you ask? Well I assisted my groom in the construction of an open-air lavatory. A shithouse, if you will.

In all fairness, I mostly fetched gatorade and held things up while they got attached to various other things, but I did wield the drill a time or two and I even made a few (flawless, of course) cuts with the power saw. And I have to admit, the results make me inordinately happy. Is it wrong to take pride in a questionably constructed outhouse? The door goes up next weekend and I'm thinking of painting the outside dark green to blend with the pines.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Ha ha! My mom-in-law has an outhouse on her property and its the nicest I have ever seen, complete with yellow bug light, potted plants, and a screened window. She painted "meditation room" on the door. I still have issues though with lowering my bare behind onto a dark, dank hole. A friend of mine drew a cross-section picture of an outhouse once, complete with creepy crawlies waiting to sting an unsuspecting pooper in the rear. I have not been able to sit on the seat of an outhouse since. I am not in any way shape or form insulting your very lovely outhouse, I wish you much luck and happiness in using it. I would rather drop trou in the woods any day though!!

Elizabeth said...

Believe me, I totally understand your trepidation! We're putting a screened window on the side facing the woods, and hopefully the door will be a dutch door, so the top can be left open. Speaking of creepy-crawlies, I need to post a picture of the salamander that I found in the hole before we started building the structure. And before any, um, deposits were made.

dale ball said...

Love the idea of a dutch door...what a great idea ! that way , it won't get too hot in there, and you don't have to feel too closed off from your surroundings. Are you going to have one of those "press on " lights inside ?