Monday, July 2, 2007

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes, Turn and Flee From the Strain

So my contract is almost up with my current job. I haven't posted much about this particular job, but it involves working with at-risk kids at a local community center. Technically, I volunteer through a national service organization, which pays me a stipend (stipend = very wee paycheck). Working with kids has been the most frustrating, ulcer-giving, hair-pulling experience of my life. It has also, without a doubt, been the most rewarding. Not to sound too Bill Cosby, but kids really due say the darndest things. Unfortunately what I heard was usually more along the lines of "Mommy's in jail for taking off her house-arrest bracelet," than "I want to be a pony when I grow up!"

Next month, my time with these kids comes to an end. I have the option of renewing my contract, but that ridiculously wee paycheck has kept ends from not quite meeting for the past year. So it's time to brush dust off the old CV and send it to any place in town that is even remotely hiring. But what kind of work do I want to do? Social work? Maybe. Or do I want to give my heart and mind a rest and work retail? We'll see.

Of course I'll probably just take whatever job presents itself first. Ends to meet and all that.

Oh, and here's that Eastern Red-Backed Salamander from our poophole. He's about 2 inches long, nose to tail.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

AAAAAHHHHHH! I knew critters lived in outhouses!!!! You have confirmed my darkest fear- lowering a bare bottom over a black hole. Not that the salamander bothers me, its what EATS the salamanders!!

Elizabeth said...

Ha! No need to fear for you tender hiney! This guy was in the hole before we built the structure. Everything is sealed up nice and tight now.